[c-nsp] 6500 Netflow

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Thu Apr 17 21:49:14 EDT 2008

At 05:22 PM 4/17/2008 -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 10:25:46AM -0700, Ian Cox wrote:
> > This is not how per interface works. Flows are only created in the
> > netflow table for interfaces it is enabled on. Interfaces without
> > netflow enabled drive a null flow mask and this results in no entries
> > being created in the netflow table for those interfaces. If you
> > enable nde on an interface this results in a non-null flow mask being
> > used and an entry being created in the table.
>
>I've specifically heard from people who have tested it (which hasn't been
>me, so far) that SRB/SRC added something in addition to the netflow
>enhancements in SXH/SRA so that TCAM overflow is dramatically reduced.

Which TCAM is being discussed? FIB, ACL or Netflow TCAM. There are
three different TCAMs on the PFC3xxx/DFC3xxx. There may be
optimizations happening for one of the other TCAMs in SRB/SRC SXH/SRA
but there is nothing to my knowledge that could be added to
dramatically reduce overflowing the netflow table besides not
enabling it upon all the interfaces. The table is either 128k or 256k
per PFC3xxx/DFC3xxx, you send in 128k or 256k unique flows, and the
table is filled, and the next unqiue flow will result in the table
overflowing. There no way make this better other than not creating
entires in the first place. Just to be sure I rang up one the
developers who writes and maintains that the netflow code and he said
they have not done anything in that area.

Ian