[c-nsp] Blocking VTP

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Wed Apr 23 03:33:00 EDT 2008

I can't believe there isn't:

int blah0/0
 vtp block in/out

...Skeeve

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Gert Doering
Sent: Wednesday, 23 April 2008 5:16 PM
To: Daniel Hooper
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Blocking VTP

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:55:54PM +0800, Daniel Hooper wrote:
> ... I
> really need to start running VTP across our network as we've got far to
> many VLAN's and way to many switches to be logging into to provision a
> new customer or VLAN ...

Don't use VTP.

We run a medium-sized data center with a huge bunch of switches and
about 300 active VLANs.

With some advance planning ("which trunks need what ranges of VLANs
pre-configured?  which VLANs need to be pre-configured on what boxes?")
and documentation ("what needs to be done to set up X"), this is quite
manageable.  Usually, a new VLAN does not need touching more than 3 boxes,
and that's way better than a single VTP accident.

Been there, seen the smoking wreck...

gert

//www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany