[c-nsp] 7201 rack mounting

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Apr 23 11:31:40 EDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> jason.plank at comcast.net writes:
>
>> racked a lot of 7200's. never had a problem with them "drooping
>> alarmingly". tighten your screws.
>
> It IS a problem with 1U front mounted stuff. Even 3750's suffer from
> it.
>
> The "solution" is to turn the brackets around and move the rack posts
> back. This doesn't work very well if there are patch panels in the
> same rack though.

Center mounting can also cause major headaches with both vertical and
horizontal cable management.

We've had to do this in many of our wiring closets.  The 3750s are usually
OK, but the 3750-Es are deeper and heavier and really need to be center
mounted.  The 3560-Es are deeper and heavier still, reaching a point where
I'd rather see additional chassis go to a 2U form factor than get any
deeper or heavier.

jms