[c-nsp] as-override

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Apr 23 13:30:43 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 15:27 +0100, Gary Roberton wrote:
> Thanks for your input on this.  I'm glad (and not so glad) that other
> people are seeing the same issue.   It is a shame that SPs are not
> implementing these commands when this is exactly what they are
> designed for.  Anyone know why an SP would not add a remove-private-as
> command to their BGP configuration peering with me?

Well, if this is not a "private" peering in e.g. an MPLS L3VPN, and the
other private AS is not your own, then the upstream really should use
"remove-private-as". I can't see how their not doing this could be
anything but an error on their side.

If the other AS instead is yours, then they need to use the
"as-override"-thingy. Normally you can't seperate different parts of the
same AS this way (the AS is supposed to be one continous routing
domain), so an upstream should either sell something transparent (L2 or
at least not BGP peering) or sell a specific product tailored to people
who need their ISP for communications inside their AS. Cisco calls the
latter "MPLS Virtual Private Network Enhancements".

I'm not sure what your situtation is, but it sounds like you should
spend some "quality time" with your providers engineers, explaining to
them what you are trying to do. :-)

Regards,
Peter