[c-nsp] Configuration buffer on 7206

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Apr 28 17:15:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 03:07:40PM -0600, Nick Voth wrote:
> Thanks Jared. I discovered that right after I sent the message. It
> definitely works.
>
> I may have to find a way to load the config from flash instead of nvram in
> the future, but compressing it seems to have worked in the sort term.

	Cisco has long claimed that you can manage the config out of
flash but honestly it's really untrue.  IOS doesn't like taking the config
from any other location than from the nvram.  With the advent of the ATA
disk devices, it's a bit more practical but you really need to dedicate
an entire ATA device to just your config and hope nobody types
the wrong command on the router to save the config.  (eg: wr mem vs
copy run disk1:startup-config).

	Doing the config compression is the "best" answer and if you
use more than the compressed configuration space, I do wish you luck.
This is easily possible with lots of dial-peers for voice, etc.. or
complex routing policy.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net