[c-nsp] Strange vlan behavior

Jeremy Stretch stretch at packetlife.net
Wed Aug 6 22:21:40 EDT 2008

This is normal if the receiving station is normally quiet (as are many
Linux/UNIX boxes). Keep in mind that a switch will flood a frame if it
doesn't have a CAM entry for the destination address. Check the MAC
address table aging time (show mac-address-table aging-time) on the
switches; I believe the default is 300 seconds. If the receiving station
hasn't transmitted any traffic in the last 300 seconds, its entry in the
switch's CAM will be purged and all traffic destined for that host will
be flooded out all ports until the switch relearns the host's location.

If this is only happening sporadically, and only at the very beginning
of a conversation, it's normal to see a stray packet or two. If it's
very frequent, however, your switches might be running out of CAM space
(possibly an indication of a DoS attack; use 'show mac-address-table
count' to inspect all known MAC addresses).

If the leaked frames can't be tolerated, consider raising the aging
timer or configuring static MAC addresses on each interface.

---
Jeremy Stretch
http://packetlife.net