[c-nsp] SXI on 6500 (was: SXH on 6500)

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 06:02:52 EDT 2008

David Prall wrote:
> Both will remain for SX releases as far as I know. Eventually only modular

<rant>

Which I believe is in large part the cause of the problems they've had
with SXH.

Think about it:

You're the 6500 IOS team. You have a large body of upstream IOS code,
and you have to back-port it, but at the *same* time you also have to
modularise it.

Contrast:

You're the 7600 IOS team. You have a large body of upstream IOS code.
You just have to back-port it.

</rant>

> will be available, but that is still a while out. I believe once we start
> seeing Safe Harbor Modular releases we will be closer to that happening.

Ha ha.

The Safe Harbor site claims that SXH3 monolithic testing would start in
July (before it was even released?) but there are already severe crash
bugs in that release, so I assume they'll wait until SXH3a or 4 or whatever.

The Safe Harbor site also says of modularity:

IOS Software Modularity
12.2(18)SXF *All releases have FAILED due to CSCin96568, CSCsf03710.

Most Recently Tested 12.2(18)SXF8 failed
Candidate Under Test or Planned 12.2(33)SXI.x Q2FY09

So it'll be over 6 months before they even *BOTHER TESTING* a modular
release for Safe Harbor, accounting for the usual 6500 fictional IOS
release dates. Does it sound to you like they're banging the "modular"
drum a bit quieter than they used to? Because it does to me.

Let's not kid ourselves - SXF is going to be the stable release for some
time to come. I just hope they release an SXF train with support for the
6716s I bought...