[c-nsp] Fake Gear?? 2621XM

Paul Stewart paul at paulstewart.org
Wed Aug 13 09:04:37 EDT 2008

Hi there.

Does anyone have a guide or list of stuff to look for if you think you've
been sold fake gear?  I've gathered little bits and pieces over time on what
to look for..

We have a number of 2621XM's deployed at remote sites.  They all have
similar configs, similar IOS loads (although they've been upgraded several
times), and all have max memory/flash (aftermarket).

The exact same problem keeps happening about every 3-4 weeks on most of
these 2621XM's - the FastE0/1 port "goes to sleep".  When a technician goes
onsite, he does a shutdown/no shutdown and everything starts working again
for 3-4 weeks.  At first we thought this was the equipment the 2621XM's plug
into but now we're starting to wonder when the same pattern is occurring
over and over.  At one of the sites, we swapped out the 2621XM and put an
1841 in place and so far no issues at all and it's been 5 weeks.

Any thoughts? ;)

Paul