[c-nsp] VRF Lite Route Propagation

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:39:48 EDT 2008

Nick Griffin wrote:
> I've figured out how to exchange routes between VRF's with the bgp address
> family configuration coupled with redistribute static|connected, etc however
> I'm trying to propagate this information and I'm having problems getting it
> to work as desired.

I'll take a "guess" at your problem...

If you have everything "centralized" into one PE doing your intra-VRF
iBGP, and also providing VRF-specific routing processes...

The intra-VRF routes are propagated locally via iBGP and the vrf
route-target import/export specifications.

To redistributed "learned" routes from the VRF-specific routing
processes into the iBGP mesh, you must 'redistribute [protocol]' in the
BGP address-family ipv4 vrf specification.

To redistributed "learned" routes from the iBGP import/export process
back into the VRF-specific routing processes, you must 'redistribute bgp
[asn]' in the routing process vrf specification.

Jeff