[c-nsp] content filter placement in data center

Dan Letkeman danletkeman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:15:09 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding content filter placement and routing
in the data center.  I would like to place our content/spyware/web
filter in our data center, but I would like to place it in such a way
that if it fails or has problems that it does not take everything
down.

Currently I have a Cisco router with two fast ethernet interfaces, and
I have two internet connections to different ISP's.  One of the
connections is used for download for all of the users and the other
connection is used for services (www, ftp, mail, etc).  On the cisco
router I am policy routing for those services and for the users.

The current content filter is inline with the router and the rest of
the network as a default route on the switch.

3560switch-------content filter-----------router--------internet (isp1)

-------------internet (isp2)

Is there a way to connect it to the router and use policy routing, and
the verify availability option so that if the content filter is down
the system still works with out it?

Thanks,
Dan.