[c-nsp] multicast bringing big irons to their knees?

Christian MacNevin christian.macnevin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 12:03:05 EDT 2008

Hi
I've only got the most superficial of ideas what's going on with this
network, but i've been asked if there's any particular reason
some Foundry switches would be being brought to their knees every time
mcast is switched on in a network. 65s, 3750s and Netscreens
all handle it fine.
Given Foundry's marketing, they dobrag that everything's handled in
port-based ASICs, but obviously it sounds like this stuff is going
to the processor. Maybe it's PIM Sniffing not supported in hardware,
not sure.
Anyway, sorry for the amazing vagary here, but it's all I've got right
now. Any thoughts?
Cheers
Christian