[c-nsp] OT: network inventory

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Aug 19 09:32:22 EDT 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Adam Greene wrote:

> Besides documenting config changes, can rancid perform a tftp backup of
> router / switch startup configs, or integrate with some other software to
> pull down the config file if a change is detected?

It doesn't use tftp for it, but rancid does backup your configs and put
them into CVS so you can see when a change was made, compare configs from
different times, etc.  It also stores the latest versions of the configs
as flat files, so you can easily do some scripting to do things like find
all routers of a certain type, make a list of router names and the
software versions they're running, etc.