[c-nsp] OT: network inventory

Ian MacKinnon ian.mackinnon at lumison.net
Tue Aug 19 10:03:33 EDT 2008

hi Chip,
chip wrote:
> So far all of the software that's been presented will autodiscover devices
> and backup configs and such.  Is there anything around that will actually
> take inventory of a router.  By inventory I mean, list of cards, model
> numbers, serial numbers, pluggable optics, etc.  I've been working on
> scripts to do this and it's become alot more complicated than I had
> originally planned.  If there's already some software out there that does
> this, I'd love to get my hands on it.
>
> --chip

CiscoWorks does all that magic inventory stuff.
Costs though :-(

You can then do all sorts of queries, eg tell me all the routers running
12.x with a WICxxxx because there is a vulnerability.

On recent IOS's "show inventory" does what you want, but it is not
supported everywhere.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison and nPlusOne.
presence of viruses.  Lumison and nPlusOne accept no liability for any