[c-nsp] Transmit Discards Across MLPPP

Jeffrey Wojciechowski wojciecj at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 11:12:50 EDT 2008

Hi All:

I am new to this forum so not sure if this is a good place to ask this question.

Whats the best way to troubleshoot transmit discards across MLPPP?

Here is my setup and symptoms:

-Cisco 2821 with 3x VWIC1-1MFT making up the multilink @ 1536 bandwidth (IPBASE image)
-I am polling that router via SNMP with Solarwinds Orion @ 1 min intervals
-today bandwidth (Sending) across multilink max of 2.05mbps
-95th percentile on sending utilization is 33.74%
-today dropped packets so far 1,418
-show policy-map interface shows no drops in the ef queue (for our voip) so all drops are falling thru to our class-default which is using flow based fair queuing
-drops only show @ multilink interface (sh int multilink123) not at the T1 interface level (sh int s0/2/0:0, sh int s0/2/1:0 and sh int s0/1/0:0)
-I dont show any lost fragments (sh int multilink ppp) nor does the provider on the other end of this circuit)

My understanding is that the router should only be discarding if the sending interface is congested but its no. I am concerned about thsese drops while the utilization is fairly low. Drops do increase as traffic increases on the link.

Any guidence/advice would be very much appreicated.

If this has been asked and answered in another thread, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Jeff Wojciechowski