[c-nsp] Need some guidance for T1 / wireless ethernet handoff load balancing/failover setup

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Tue Aug 19 17:49:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 09:02:27PM -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Scott Lambert wrote:
> > I have a customer who went directly to cisco to ask about how to load
> > balance two WAN connections to their Cisco PIX 515E.  Cisco sold them an
> > ASA 5510 and two 1841s and suggested VRRP or GLBP for the LAN with the
> > ASA and 1841s.  Apparantly, the customer didn't even mention that the
> > two connections were to the same ISP, me.  The customer just ordered the
> > equipment and said "Make it work."
>
> Whoever sold them on that solution should be the one to make it work. ;)

Wouldn't that be nice though? :-)

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies.  I've learned quite a lot
from them.  I'll be doing more reading and testing with the suggested
methods.  We'll see what happens.  I think I'm going to punt on the load
balancing for now and just get it working in failover mode.

I'll reply back when I know more and can ask intelligent follow-up
questions.

I had a thought on load balancing though, maybe I could hook both 1841s
and the wireless ethernet handoff to a switch and get VRRP working on
that side so that if the T1 router is up, then traffic can use both
the wireless and T1 via whatever method but if the T1 router died, the
wireless only router could take over.

Thank you so much for your help!  I don't feel so much like a fish out
of water now.

lambert at lambertfam.org