[c-nsp] MPLS VPN Question about PE-CE - Private or Public IP?

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Tue Aug 19 21:19:43 EDT 2008

Just wondering from those in the know, whether it's best practice to
implement public or private IP's for the PE-to-CE link. What's everyone
using and why?

For our MPLS network, I've been asked by my Manager to use private IP's
for the PE-CE link in order to give the customer the appearance that
they are on a secure PRIVATE network due to private IP's being used.
Although I tend to be more fond of using public IP's because it's a
unique address space so you don't have to worry about overlapping IP
addresses on the customer's end and secondly there's no configuration
from the Service Provider's end should you need to remove the connection
from the VRF to conduct further testing from the Internet becuse the
connection is already using public IP's  (eg: for cases where the
customer is complaining of slow speeds, packet loss, drop outs, etc and
you want to test the individual connection and bypass their VPN).

Thanks.

Andy

Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this
email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Please note that
 any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
 author and do not necessarily represent those of the organisation.
Finally, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The organisation accepts no liability for any