[c-nsp] Unable to connect VLAN traffic

Johnny Ramirez sforcejr at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 23:54:43 EDT 2008

Justin,

I appreciate your well explained answer. So basically they would tell me what VLANs I should use for me to match them.

Thanks

From: Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Unable to connect VLAN traffic
To: "Johnny Ramirez" <sforcejr at yahoo.com>
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 9:41 PM

Johnny Ramirez wrote:
> We have layer 2 connectivity from our main office to an offsite facility
where our servers reside. We are connected via fiber but is not a dedicated
circuit.

> Recently I  created a VLAN with same ID on both switches (main office and
Offsite facility) . I trunked the port on both ends but not traffic passes on
this VLAN. Obviously only VLAN 1 works. According to a consultant the provider
of the fiber connection needs to turn "something" on  for us to be
able to pass VLAN traffic other than VLAN 1's. What would be that
"something", he does not even kow it himself.

> Can anybody shed any light on this?. We are urgently needing to have a
separate VLAN for our VOIP traffic.

John,

Basically what this amounts to is that your transport provider is only
accepting untagged Ethernet frames and thus only the one VLAN you
previously used on your access interface.  You need the provider to
accept tagged Ethernet frames so that tagged frames from each of your
VLANs will be accepted for transport.  The provider may either dictate
to you what VLAN IDs you must use.  They may use Q-in-Q (aka VLAN
stacking) to assign their own tag in front of your tags.  This would
give you the most flexibility and will keep you from having to work with
them to allow future VLANs across the trunk.

Justin