[c-nsp] Unable to connect VLAN traffic

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Aug 20 00:44:21 EDT 2008

Johnny Ramirez wrote:

> Justin,
>
> I appreciate your well explained answer. So basically they would tell me
> what VLANs I should use for me to match them.

That's one possibility.  Hopefully your SP has progressed beyond that
point though and supports Q-in-Q.  It scales much better than
integrating customer VLAN IDs with the SP's VLAN IDs.  With Q-in-Q
they'll internally assign a VLAN ID to your access interface and will
prepend that VLAN tag to whatever VLAN tags you hand them on your trunk
port.  They'll switch that double-stacked Ethernet frame across their SP
backbone to your other remote access interface.  That's of course an
assumption based on what you wrote about shared fiber.  It's possible
they're doing some sort of EoMPLS but the access edge will still likely
be Q-in-Q to stuff multiple VLANs into a EoMPLS VC.

HTH
  Justin