[c-nsp] OSPF point-to-point vs dr/bdr

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Aug 20 11:00:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 07:41 -0700, Kelvin Goei wrote:
> Want to ask, what is the benefit if we are using point-to-point for
>  connection between each zones router to the core instead of using
>  dr/bdr connection?

Configuring a link as "point-to-point" means that OSPF skips the BR/BDR
election, making the calculations a little simpler. Normally a
multi-access media (like Ethernet) means the SPF algorithm has to use a
"trick" to build a graph, since all graph links must exclusively be
between two nodes. Electing a pseudo-node and treating the multi-access
media like a star topology solves this, but makes the SPF graph more
complex.

Regards,
Peter