[c-nsp] MPLS VPN Question about PE-CE - Private or Public IP?

Andy Saykao andy.saykao at staff.netspace.net.au
Wed Aug 20 21:08:58 EDT 2008

Well we don't have to worry about managing the CE side because this is
the customer's reponsibility, so gathering by what I've read so far,
using a public or private address space shouldn't matter.

I do agree with everyone that having a public address space for the
PE-CE link means that you'll never have to worry about what private
address space the customer is using on their LAN side. This is a nice
worry not to have :)

I also agree with Brandon that so long as you manage the address space
carefully across all of the links, it probably won't matter too much
whether you go with public or private.

Since my manager has already decided to use a private IP range for the
PE-CE link, we'll just have to take it case by case and hope we use an
obscure private range that no one else is using *fingers crosses*. If we
ever do encounter overlapping IP's and the customer can't change their
IP addressing scheme, I guess we can always pull out another obscure
private range to use.

Thanks for the interesting dicsussion.

Cheers.

Andy