[c-nsp] smoke and condensation damage to routers

mack mack at exchange.alphared.com
Wed Aug 20 22:24:32 EDT 2008

Having lived in south Louisiana and south east Texas,
I am very familiar with condensation and high humidity.
It is generally not harmful to solid state gear that is unpowered.
Condensation is usually pure H2O which evaporates without residue.
Water and electricity do not mix well.
Long term exposure to moisture will cause corrosion which is of course bad.
But short term exposure should be OK.
I wouldn't recommend it exposing equipment to condensation as standard practice though.

Smoke is another matter.
Graphite is a moderately good conductor.
Soot is made of carbon in the graphite polymorh (well mostly).
A thin layer on a switch can have catastrophic effects in a production environment.
Even if it doesn't cause a short, it may cause stray capacitance which will result in
flaky operation.

Message: 1