[c-nsp] Cheap STM-1 router

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Aug 21 10:10:47 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 19:19:40 Rubens Kuhl Jr. wrote:
> What would the cheapest(new, used, refurbished, all of above) Cisco
> gear that could:
> 1) On the remote sites, have STM-1 SDH connection; no sub-channeling,
> just a single IP interface with all the STM-1 capacity.

7200, 7500, 7400, or anything else that will take a 12.0S, 12.2S, or 12.4 IOS
and a PA-POS-OC3SMx (where x is L or I depending upon optics reach).  If the
service provider requires APS protection on those circuits you need two of
them.  I have a pair of 7401ASR's with two PA-POS-OC3SMI's doing APS, and
that's a quite interesting thing.  If you think you need more ports than 7401
provides (two GigE/FastE combo ports) then 7200 is good choice; if you really
want bargain basement prices get somebody's castoff 7505 or 7507.

> 2) On the central site, have STM-16 SDH connection; some channeling is
> required, so each remote STM-1 is a sub-interface.

Older 12000 running 12.0S and a channelized OC48 linecard.  The OC48
channelized cards should work with any of the fabrics available for 12000,
and might even work in 12008 or 12012 with a full fabric.  12012's are
available cheap on eBay, but you might get a good ROI for something that
requires less power and rackspace by spending more up front for a low-end
7600 or even 1000, and the 7600 and 10000 will give you more edge features
than 12000.  Not having set up the channelized OCx stuff, I'm not sure which
software features you would need, sorry.  APS would still require two
chassis; there is a single router APS option, but only with specific
linecards and specific chassis.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer