[c-nsp] smoke and condensation damage to routers

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Aug 21 11:49:00 EDT 2008

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Darrell Root wrote:

> My worst judgement call is a pair of ASA5580-40's in the original packaging 1
> floor down from the
> fire.  They were inside a plastic bag inside a box on a pallet.  The box is
> dry.
> Some condensation was noticed inside the plastic bag when it was opened up.

Time to read over the fine print of your SmartNet agreement for "act of
God" type provisions and limtations.  If you can get RMA replacements from
SmartNet, that might be the route to go.

As far as the insurance adjuster goes, I would take the position that even
if you have a replacement/support agreement with the vendor (i.e.
SmartNet), thet might not cover smoke/water damage, meaning that there is
potential that the vendor will not replace the gear.

I've had gear that sustained water damage while in service.  We took
one of the switches, dried it out, tried it in the lab, and it fired up,
but I would never put that switch back in production because it could
easily fail prematurely.  My main concerns would be deposits left on the
guts of the gear after the water dried.  That can cause corrosion,
especially when heat and electric current are involved, an it can also
interfere with airflow / heat dissipation, even if you replace the power
supply/supplies and any fan modules, etc...

jms