[c-nsp] MPLS VPN Question about PE-CE - Private or Public IP?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Aug 22 04:31:42 EDT 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008 00:47:35 Everton da Silva Marques
wrote:

> 1. Use RR to scale BGP; deploy RRs in pair for the
> redundancy Keep RRs out of the forwarding paths and
> disable CEF (saves memory)

Curious to actually know by what % memory is saved when CEF
is disabled on a fairly modern IOS-based platform today,
particularly, software routers (which make affordable route
reflectors).

We use 7201's for route reflectors (IPv4, VPNv4, and with
any luck, l2vpn AFI in the future), with tens of peers
configured, about 5 of whom send full tables, while the
rest send a couple of hundred to a few thousand routes.

Configured with 2GB of DRAM, 1.78GB is available after boot
(thanks to 12.2(33)SRC1), and 322MB is used to hold the
learned routes (as at today).

1.47GB is left for future use.

CEF is enabled, CPU lays low at 1% to 2%. Overload bit is
set on IS-IS to keep them from being transit routers.

With these values, we're not inclined to disable CEF; but
would be interested in hearing your experiences with this
practice, and on what platforms.

Cheers,

Mark.