[c-nsp] L2TPv3 interoperability between 12.0S and 12.4.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Aug 22 10:47:34 EDT 2008

Good morning list.

I have had an odd version discrepancy before between 12.0S and 12.4 in the
past; in particular, I tried to have a 12.0S-running 12012 act as working and
a 7505 running 12.4 as protect on an APS-protected OC3; but this did not
work; the protect and the working would not negotiate APS properly (and they
had a direct link between them).  Subbed a 7507 that had 12.0S as the
protect, and it works fine.  But two 7401ASR's running 12.4, one as working
and one as protect, talk APS fine with each other.

In any case, looking for experience on possible issues of this kind for L2TPv3
between a 7507 running 12.0S and a 7401ASR running 12.4.  12.0S is required
on the 7507 for the SRPIP-OC12 module it uses to communicate with the 12012
and 7507 doing APS on the OC3.

I know, better hardware would be nice; but just looking for anybody's
experience with odd L2TPv3 issues between different IOS versions (and
trains).
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer