[c-nsp] Multiple SPAN config question (re: tim's reply of 2005 sometime)

Christian MacNevin christian.macnevin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 18:32:06 EDT 2008

Hi

So this is the conversation I'm referencing inline below.

The configuration we've tried has vlan sources and destionations on a
6148A linecard. It seems to be sending traffic from *all* vlans to
each port, however.
The IOS is 12.2(18)SXF14. Is there a hardware limitation on the split
source split port option?

Config:

monitor session 2 source vlan 64 , 120 , 888 , 998
monitor session 2 destination interface Gi2/23 - 26

####
REFERENCED CONVERSATION:

To span, say, two of the spanned vlans to one of the configured dest
ports,
just add multiple vlans to the allowed list, ie, sw trunk all vlan
10-11,
or similar.

The config I mentioned will include the 1q headers already. If you don't
want that, you could make the native vlan of the span dest port trunk
the
vlan you have in the allowed list.

One word of caution on this configuration. The system is not
(currently, &
no firm plans) intelligent enough to not send ALL the SPAN traffic to
ALL
the destintaion modules, even if that module ultimately won't forward
the
traffic because of the allowed vlan list.

For example, if I have a fabric enabled system with modules 1 2 & 3,
and I
span vlans 10 & 11 from module 1 to dest ports on module 2 & 3, where
the
allowed list on the mod 2 port is 10 & the allowed list on the mod 3
port
is 11, VLAN 10 & 11 traffic is passed over BOTH the fabric channels, the
one  connecting to module 2 & the one connecting to module 3, even
though
module 2 will ultimately drop the vlan 11 traffic & module 3 will drop
the
vlan 10 traffic.

Tim

At 05:22 PM 3/17/2005, Virgil declared:
 >On 18/3/05 7:29 AM, "Tim Stevenson" <tstevens at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 >
 >Tim,
 >
 > > And then configure a single SPAN session like so:
 > >
 > > mon ses 1 source vlan 10 - 13
 > > mon ses 1 dest int gig 1/1 - 4
 > >
 > > This ends up spanning just vlan 10 traffic to int gig 1/1, just
vlan 11
 > > traffic to int gig 1/2, etc.
 >
 >That's excellent information.  What would be required to receive
traffic for
 >a couple of vlans to one port, and include the dot1q headers as well?
 >

 >Regards
 >Virgil

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at xxxxxxxxx
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759