[c-nsp] EoMPLS with Port-channel with 8GE interfaces.

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Aug 25 10:07:48 EDT 2008

Maarten Moerman <> wrote on Monday, August 25, 2008 3:54 PM:

> Hi,
>
> I have a kind of problem at the moment which I'll try to explain here.
>
> Diagram:
>
>  sw1 with 4 * GE--> 4 * GE @ r1 @ 10GE--> 10GE @ r2 4 * GE--> 4 *
> GEsw2
>
> sw1 + sw2 = 6509 with 6748 blades
> r1 + r2 = 7604 with 6748 blades, and their interconnects are on 10GE
> xenpaks on 6704 10GE blades
>
> On sw1 +2 I have:
>
> Int port-channel1
> Trunk encaps dot1q (multiple vlan)
>
> Int giga x/1-4
> Channel-group 1 mode on
>
> On r1 + r2 I have:
>
> Int port-channel 1
>  mtu 9216
>  xconnect <loopback IP other router> <mpls-tag> encapsulation mpls
>
> Int giga x/1-4
>  mtu 9216
>  channel-group 1 mode on
>
> However, I'm currently facing the problem, that I cannot exceed the
> bandwith of that port-channel over 1gbit. The ingress is no problem,
> it tries to send, but the other side doesn't seem to pick up the
> traffic.
>
> Does this have to do with the fact that the portchannel on the
> routers only see 1 source, and 1 destination address? So that it
> cannot correctly balance traffic among 4 interfaces?
>
> Anybody has an idea how to solve this?

I've never done xconnect on a port-channel, but you could remove the
channel on r1 and r2 and just configure "regular" EoMPLS PWs between
each of the four GigE links. Channeling is then only performed on sw1
and sw2.. I would consider running LACP/PaGP on the channel between
sw1/sw2..
This should work.

	oli