[c-nsp] Improved queuing in 12.4(20)T?

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Aug 26 07:32:23 EDT 2008

Per Carlson <mailto:perc69 at gmail.com> wrote on Tuesday, August 26, 2008
1:16 PM:

> Hi Oli.
>
>> I haven't looked at HQF for a while, but I recall the H-QoS scenario
>> you're using benefits especially from HQF as the parent shaper is
>> aware of the LLQ within the child, but not entirely sure about this.
>> It would explain the improved behaviour, though.
>
> I have always had the impression that the parent shaper *is* aware of
> the child policy. Otherwise the whole H-QoS scheme is rather useless,
> at least with respect to LLQ/PQ.

Hmm, I think I would need to do some digging here, but I was thinking
about a different kind of "awareness" here. Obviously the shaper in the
parent is aware of a child, so when the shaper has to queue a packet
(i.e. signals connections), it'll use the child policy (which, as you
write, is the whole point of H-QoS).

Maybe Rodney can comment more, but I would still assume HQF being the
reason for the different behavior in your environment.

	oli