[c-nsp] Cisco 2960G Issue

Mike Cooper m.cooper at actrix.co.nz
Wed Aug 27 05:39:26 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've got a WS-C2960G-24TC-L switch running IOS 12.2(35)SE5

It's been in production for a couple of weeks in a fairly straight
forward L2 environment.

We noticed this afternoon a few hosts connected to the switch suffering
persistent packet loss of ~20%

After a bit of investigation we narrowed it down to ports 5, 6, 7, 8.
The ports were configured as access ports, 1 @ 10M/FD 3 @ 1G/FD, all
were in different vlans. My assumption is the switch runs six ASICs, and
that the one that operates those 4 ports has faulted or degraded in some
way causing the performance issues.

None of the other machines connected to the switch were affected, and
currently the switch is still operating.

I've since relocated the affected machines to an alternate switch,
resolving the loss issues.

I'm interested if anyone is aware of this as a common problem with 2960G
switches (or any switches for that matter), and if there are any tips
for testing/troubleshooting before I return it as faulty. I bought 4
brand new 2960Gs in one go, 1 was DoA, and now this one has developed
faults which is leaving me with some concerns for the others.

Cheers,

--Mike