[c-nsp] QoS on an Ethernet Sub-interface

Ben Steele ben.steele at internode.on.net
Fri Aug 29 02:53:19 EDT 2008

Justin, the shape average is what you are wanting to shape the whole
subinterface to in bps, ie if you wanted to shape it to 1Mb then you would
have shape average 1024000, sometimes a nicer way to do it is just say
"shape average percent 100" which will reference the bandwidth statement on
the interface instead.

You are correct in your second statement that shaping average at 1Mb would
result in 350Kb for a class with 35%

Cheers

Ben

Overall I think that would work though I'm sure it needs some tweaking.
  My holdup is the shape average value.  I'm trying to understand what
it is that I'm shaping with that command.  Should the shape value be the
max I'm allowing for the VoIP classes referenced by the policy map, the
max for the link, or some other value that I'm not thinking of?  If it
is the voip classes will that affect my percentage commands in the child
classes?  ie, if the shaping was set at 1Mbps would the 35% in the child
come out at 350k?

Thanks
  Justin