[c-nsp] Few questions regarding fixed vs modular and when which is better.

James Slepicka cisco-nsp at slepicka.net
Fri Aug 29 13:42:39 EDT 2008

This is more or less what I do as well and I'm pretty happy with it.
Cabinets have 48-port patch panels tied over to a relay rack.  In one
cabinet, the first half of the ports go to switch A, the other half to
switch B.   Same thing in the second cabinet, except A/B are reversed,
so each pair of cabinets shares a pair of switches.  It's effectively a
top-of-rack design, except that the switches are located at the end of
the row.  See http://slepicka.net/physicaldesign.png to get an idea of
what I'm talking about.  Access layer switches are 4948-10GEs w/ dual
power supplies connected to 6506s w/ 6704-10GEs in the distribution layer.

The biggest benefit of this config is that cable management is a snap
and it's really easy to replace a switch if you need to.  Instead of
messing around with a switch and a ton of cables at the top of the
cabinet, I only need to move around a bunch of 1 foot cables in the
rack.  I suppose the same thing could be done in the cabinet at the
expense of additional space.  A ports are always the primary, and B's
are backup.  With a 10Gb link to the distribution layer, that means I'm
running at about 2.4:1 oversubscription assuming everything is happy.
Downsides are that cabling can be expensive (all that CAT-6 vs. some
fiber) and that it's tough for the server guys to figure out what
switch/port they're plugging into at times.

I do hope that Cisco doesn't EOL the 4948-10GE without releasing a
switch with similar features in a 1U form factor.

James