[c-nsp] MPLS-VPN migration

Luan Nguyen luan at netcraftsmen.net
Wed Dec 17 12:25:48 EST 2008

Let me try thinking out loud :)
There BGP support for IP prefix import into VRF table:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t14/feature/guide/gt_bgivt.htm
You could use static routes as well.
For dynamic, some people create two tunnels, same router, same subnet,
sourced from different loopbacks.  With one tunnel interface in the vrf, one
in the global routing table

ip vrf CUSTOMER1
rd
route-target export
route-target import
!
interface Tunnel100
description VRF_CUSTOMER1_BRIDGE_TO_GLOBAL_ROUTING_TABLE
bandwidth 50000
ip vrf forwarding CUSTOMER1
ip address 172.31.254.254 255.255.255.252
load-interval 30
tunnel source x.x.x.x
tunnel destination y.y.y.y
!
interface Tunnel200
description GLOBAL_ROUTING_TABLE_BRIDGE_TO_VRF_CUSTOMER1
bandwidth 50000
ip address 172.31.254.253 255.255.255.252
ip virtual-reassembly
load-interval 30
tunnel source y.y.y.y
tunnel destination x.x.x.x

If you have a lot of customers (a lot of VRFs), then maybe try DMVPN
configuration with the global being the hub and each spokes in their own
unique VRF...just a thought :)

Regards,

Luan Nguyen
Chesapeake NetCraftsmen, LLC.