[c-nsp] IPv6 on C3550, finally? (12.2(44)SE)

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Fri Feb 1 12:28:31 EST 2008

On (2008-02-01 14:40 +0100), Mohacsi Janos wrote:

> Alternaively you could choose 3560 or 3750 series (not ME) that is
> capable for IPv6 routing in a limited way. No BGP IPv6 support... When I
> asked about the IPv6 BGP support plan - no plan currently. This is very
> bad :(

Yes, I've been running IPv6 in them since day 1. However, replacing
working 3550 to 3560 just to get IPv6 MGMT typically isn't viable
option.
Knowing that lot of people still happily use XL switches, we'll probably
see 3550's as pure switches in many years to come, when perhaps
majority of your network has been migrated to IPv6. I fear we're going
to have 'telnet/ssh issue' all over again, replacing fully functioning boxes
just to comply with mgmt requirements.

--
  ++ytti