[c-nsp] static route with higher AD preferred over BGP

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Feb 5 02:12:04 EST 2008

Atif Sid <> wrote on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:53 AM:

> I have a static route configured with Higher admin distance, intially
> BGP route does does not install int routing table. after a flap in
> BGP table the static route starts preferring, although the BGP AD is
> lower then Static route which is 210.
>
> any insight is appereciated.

AD comes into play when a route is known via multiple sources. In your
case, BGP will prefer the redistributed static route due to its higher
weight over the vpnv4 route you receive via iBGP (weight wins over
localpref). To solve this (somewhat classical) problem, make sure you
set the weight to zero (using a route-map) when redistributing the
floating static into BGP (or set the weight of the ibgp vpnv4 prefixes
to 32768). This way, BGP will prefer the iBGP path, installs it in the
RIB, and this one wins over the floating static.

	oli