[c-nsp] BFD aware VRF

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Feb 10 06:45:10 EST 2008

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 03:43:20PM -0500, Aaron wrote:
>> BFD has is place with ethernet through a switch, I don't see its value in
>> anything else. You can have fast detection without BFD.
>
> Well, the nice thing about IOS is that things are configurable.  We have
> now understood that you don't want BFD for serial - so just don't switch
> it on.
>
> I, for one, am happy to have things available in a generic fashion - not
> like "this sort of feature will not be available on *that* type of
> interface, because Aaron Someone does not need it".

Agreed. My biggest gripe about Cisco kit (though to be fair, this
applies to other vendors to a greater or lesser extent) is the lack of
composability/generality in the feature sets. BFD on SVIs is another
example, inability to set SVIs to "ip unumbered" (when you can set .1
subints to that), inability to set IPs on mux uni ports on 6500s, etc.
are all recent examples.

(I realise some of these are hardware limitations, but they're damn
annoying ones)

> (There's enough such cruft in IOS already, like "no 64 bit counters on
> 'low speed' interfaces)

Don't even get me started on that...