[c-nsp] Cisco7609 as P layer

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Feb 12 05:48:30 EST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:38:39PM +0200, Mauritz lewies wrote:
> Has anyone used the 7609?s (SUP720) as P layer devices in their MPLS networks?
>
> Cisco seems to keep rejecting this idea, but can?t give me valid answers why.

"Because they get more money if you buy a GSR, CRS-1, or ES20 line cards".

I can't comment on the 7609 specifically, but doing this with 7603 and 7604
plus Sup720/3B "just works".

(We've not done very advanced MPLS stuff, just basic L3 VPN and EoMPS, but
both didn't give any surprises.  760x being used as P or PE devices.)

As far as I understand, VPLS will *not* work on Sup720 as PE devices - but
a P device won't see what's in there, so shouldn't care.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de