[c-nsp] Cisco VPN Client for 64-bit????

Kaj Niemi kajtzu at basen.net
Fri Feb 15 09:19:12 EST 2008

Hi,

I think Cisco hopes that you would "migrate" them from VPN3K and PIX
to ASA (or IOS) ;-)

I happened to stumble on the same "where do I find a 64 bit vpn client
for vista" recently and a short investigation resulted in "please look
into implementing anyconnect vpn instead of expecting 64 bit vpn
client for vista". Since there is a 64 bit linux implementation of the
vpn client and there is a 32 bit vista client that kind of works I
would assume this has more to do with someone deciding they want us,
the customers, to pay for those nifty little SSL licenses (you get a
few with your ASA, the rest you have to pay for unlike ipsec licenses
that you get a bunch of) than technical issues with implementing it on
the 64 bit network stack.

For anyone attempting to implement Anyconnect with group attributes
from RADIUS remember to read through CSCsk80264 before starting - it
will save you a lot of grief. The 8.0 reference documentation (table
E-5) is wrong and the error you will get from your ASA is something
along the lines of "Unable to add SVC to  ... " and "Internal Error
(34 => 34)" even with very heavy vpn-sessiondb and webvpn debug
enabled. The OS X client also identifies itself as a Windows client
("sh vpn-sess de svc") for one of the tunnel types (TLS or DTLS), that
was also pretty hilarious.

As a technology, or as an implementation, Anyconnect 2.0/2.1 does not
seem as robust as the ipsec vpn client especially if network
connectivity is a bit flaky. I support guys who are in a bunch of
different places (Qatar, somewhere in Australia ;-), Malaysia, etc.)
and where the ipsec client shines is that it works semi-reliably even
with very high latencies (2+ seconds) and variable packet loss.

Also.. on the webvpn side, what happened in 8.0 to ASA customization?
"customize foo" is deprecated and does not seem to result in anything
anymore (in 7.2 that worked). Now there seems to be some kind of xml
importing tool instead or the assumption that everybody is to use ASDM
for administration. I could not find any documentation on CCO on the
new format.

:)