[c-nsp] VOIP and security

Steve Postma spostma at travizon.com
Thu Feb 21 13:46:21 EST 2008

I have been asked to provide a secure solution for VOIP at a client
site.  I would like the hardware to perform mac-address filtering so
that only the voip phones would have access to the media. Then
access-lists for ip and port level control, and router to router ipsec
capabilities. What is the minimum level of hardware to accomplish this
task? It looks like pix can filter by mac-address (I don't have a pix)
while I believe IOS cannot. Or should I put a switch in front of a
router for mac-address filtering?

Voip phone----switch----router-----vpn through corporate firewall-----
firewall-----router-----VOIP card

Thanks for your time,

Steve Postma
Systems Administrator

781-994-1200
spostma at travizon.com <mailto:spostma at travizon.com>

Travizon, Inc.  |  Working to Bring People Together
http://www.travizon.com <http://www.travizon.com/>