[c-nsp] 7604/sup32

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Jan 8 13:04:09 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 09:50 -0800, Ian Cox wrote:
> It forwards in hardware if the FIB will fit into the hardware FIB
> table. The full internet table will not fit into a
> PFC2/PFC3a/PFC3b/FFC3a/DFC3b/PFC3C/DFC3C anymore since the hardware
> table, even after changing from the default will only get you 239k
> routes. For full routes one needs to use a SUP7203bXL / RSP720-3CXL,
> with XL DFCs. If you don't use XLs and then you wind up with FIB
> exception and packets forwarded in software.

Of course, hadn't thought of that. And I guess the Sup32 doesn't come
in an XL version. :-)

You could filter the routes of course, if you can live with a default
route. Maybe using a decent "real" router with full table for this. So
the SP edge role is fine if a) customers can live without full tables
and b) you only use it on the customer side.

Anyways, the Sup32 is a decent switch with some L3 functionality and
mediocre to good performance.

Regards,
Peter