[c-nsp] Line rate DS3 on a 3845

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Jan 8 14:22:36 EST 2008

Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On 1/8/08, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
>> Does anyone have real-life experience with driving a full DS3's worth of
>> bandwidth through the 3845? The website says it will, but I don't know
>> if that's "yes, as long as it's a single flow" or "yes, even for worst
>> case traffic" or something in the middle. Thanks!
>
> I have a 3845 running a 40Mb Ethernet PVC from my Internet provider
> and it seems to keep pace even with QoS being applied.  I don't think
> that I'd want to push it much further.  I've been pushing for a 7201
> to replace the 3845 so I'm ready for the inevitable moment when they
> higher ups decide that we need more than 40Mb of Internet bandwidth.

I have a 3845 with a 40Mbps Ethernet link to an upstream.  The router is
pulling down 2 copies of the full Internet table, as well as iBGP
internally and extensive ingress/egress ACLs.  No QoS yet.  The load
stays under 30% with relative ease, usually no more than 24%.

Theoretically the 3845 scales up to 256Mbps with CEF.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Justin