[c-nsp] BFD for static routes

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Jan 9 17:14:06 EST 2008

I'm a little puzzled here. BFD needs two BFD-speaking routers, right?
It's not enough that one of them can speak BFD, is it? And if a router
speaks BFD it probably also speaks some kind of routing protocol
semi-fluently. Why not use that option instead?

I can see that BFD is a _lot_ more light weight compared to any routing
protocol, but it's local to the specific router unless you redistribute
your static route. And BFD does little more than your link up/down
mechanics, so if you have a direct connection and UDLD it's unecessary.
(Doesn't help for e.g. SONET of course.)

I'm just thinking it'd be a scarcely used feature. Or am I completely
off track here? :-)

Regards,
Peter