[c-nsp] MPLS hardware

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Thu Jan 10 00:36:13 EST 2008

Cisco made alot of promises about SUP2/MSFC2 and MPLS, don't even
bother, it is useless for MPLS.

I understand the 720-3BXL use useful, once you get past the IOS of the
week syndrome, and if you are careful about linecard selection.

A 6509 chassis can take the 720, with an upgraded fan tray and power
supplies.  But, the fan tray upgrade is no longer available.

IIRC, a 6509-E chassis with 3000 watt supplies will run the 720s.

The 7206VXR is a very useful platform, the NPE-400 works fine at up to
several DS3s worth of traffic, just watch the customer interface configs
(policers and CAR eat CPU), and try to stick to gig PAs for ethernet
(MTU limits on FE ints).  Bus limits make it hard though, easy to run
out of points.

The NPE-G1 adds 3 built-in jumbo capable GigE on a dedicated bus and
alot more CPU.