[c-nsp] Looking for visually impressive server racks

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Thu Jan 10 07:52:42 EST 2008

Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> Hey all,
> Got a customer who is building a server room and it will have glass walls.
> They are into things like animation and so on, and want to have a VERY
> impressive looking comms room on display.
>
> What I am looking for is some rack brand or company that make amazing
> looking racks… I’m talking stainless steel, chrome?, in-built lighting
> perhaps… something that just looks like it’s the room which powers the
> Enterprise kinda thing ;-)
> If anyone knows anyone (worldwide) making/selling this kind of thing… please
> let me know.  For now, lets say cost isn’t much of a factor – wow factor is
> everything.

HP UK have a nice little demo lab on display like this - the thing that
makes it look nice is the lighting - they have (some) translucent 600mm
floor tiles in a regular black raised floor, lit from below, and also
pin spots in the ceiling. It's quite a nice look, even with their
standard cabs inside and the usual array of EVA, Blades etc for
blinkenlights and demo.

Inicdentally, if you can get bare metal cabs, then it's not too hard to
have panels/parts powder-coated in your choice of colour by some local
engineering firm. We did this with our first DC to get black cable
baskets, back in the day.

Also, try these guys perhaps, for something different:
http://www.kellsystems.co.uk/finish_options.asp

Howie