[c-nsp] MPLS hardware

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Jan 10 10:41:58 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 09:58 -0500, Paul Stewart wrote:
> If we leave the whole VPSL component out and want to do "MPLS" - is there
> any documents on Cisco.com that outline what the Sup2 platform is capable of
> when it comes to MPLS in general?  Somewhere I would think that Sup2 can do
> *some* MPLS stuff or am I just simply wrong? ;)

The Sup2 can't do MPLS by itself (i.e. on LAN cards), but as others have
mentioned you can use Optical Service Modules to do it. The OSM-2
+4GE-WAN+ (for Gigabit Ethernet) and similar have PXF processors built
in and can do MPLS, traffic shaping, LLQ and all the other nice
features. You can find some documentation here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps2831/products_data_sheet09186a008013155c.html
(http://tinyurl.com/yuwqcu)

It's just a data sheet, so it doesn't explain a lot, but it's a start.
It says "7600" all over the document, but the section "Physical
Specifications" states that a Sup2/MSFC2 can be used.

You can use Enhanced FlexWAN modules too by the way.

Regards,
Peter