[c-nsp] TCP Throughput / MTU problem ? with Cisco 7304 and MPLS VPN's

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Jan 11 17:43:49 EST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Peter Rathlev wrote:

> tried "mtu 1520" and "mpls mtu 1520" as stated in the document? OTOH it
> should have complained if you configured an MPLS MTU larger that the
> interface MTU.

It works just fine to have mpls mtu higher than interface MTU, in effect
these two do the same thing (with reservation that I might have forgotten
some protocol in example 1):

example 1:
int gi0/0
mtu 1546
ip mtu 1500
clns mtu 1500

example 2:
int gi0/0
mpls mtu 1546

All protocols inherit "mtu", if you do "mpls mtu" then only mpls will have
the higher mtu and all other protocols will inherit the default ethernet
1500 mtu.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se