[c-nsp] 2960 not switching packets (hub-like behavior)

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Thu Jan 17 12:04:35 EST 2008

 Most times this is related to the arp aging time on the sending device vs mac aging time on the switch.
 The switch will learn the location of the mac when it transmits, but after not recieving data sourced from the mac for more than the aging time the mac gets removed from the mac addres  table .
The sending device still has the arp entry so it will still send packets to the destination mac and the switch will start flooding the packets.
Check to see if the destination mac is in your mac table on the switch and the arp table on the originating device. Then try and reconfigure the arp timeoutes lower than the mac aging time by lowering one or raising the other.

Regards
Brian