[c-nsp] ipflow/netflow appliance

bill fumerola billf at mu.org
Thu Jan 17 15:19:04 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 03:56:40PM -0500, Adam Powers wrote:
> I can attest to this. nProbe is your best bet for a ?virtual NetFlow
> exporter?. It performs well and has tons of export formats and features. We
> use it extensively for QA and testing. You do, however, have to pay a bit
> for it whereas fprobe and others are free.

it's unclear to me how a piece of software can be both GPL (or GPL
derived) and for sale and the end users prevented from redistributing
it. according the license, by the simple act of receiving the software
you're entitled to the source. once you have that, it's unclear what
prevents anyone from modifying & redistributing the source. arguing
license nits is for another list, i suppose.

so, to keep on topic: has anyone here purchase the nProbe software? the
online store says the source comes with it. is the entire codebase GPL'd?
care to share the redistributable portions of the source?

off-list replies to this would be fine, summaries will come if i get any
meaningful response.

-- bill