[c-nsp] Some assitance please...

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Jan 24 16:27:22 EST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Richard Golodner wrote:

>   I am opening a new office and have a 1.5 Meg DSL circuit being dropped to
> the C.O. from AT&T with a few static IP's. I would like to use the Cisco
> 1801 W instead of the AT&T modem as it offers me al the features I want, but
> I am no DSL expert. I understand the 1801 has a DSL modem built in.
> 	I would like to by pass the AT&T modem and use the Cisco as my DSL
> modem, router and firewall along with the bridged wireless LAN. Is this
> possible? And what kind of information should I get from the AT&T tech who
> does the initial install? I imagine I will need the VPI /VCI, but what other
> information would be needed?

If the 1801 works like the SB107, then you don't need an external DSL
modem.  I deployed one of these at a remote site for a client and it works
fine.

As you mentioned, you will need the VPI and VCI.  You may also need a
username and password if the telco uses PPPoE to authenticate you and
register you on their network.  If the telco provided a DSL modem, you
might be able to log into it to see what it has set for the VPI and VCI
because getting that info from customer support can be trying at times.

jms