[c-nsp] Differences between WS-C3750E & WS-C3750G switches

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Jan 25 12:40:29 EST 2008

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 11:37 -0500, Matthew Crocker wrote:
> Can someone explain the difference between these two switches?  Is it
> only the uplink speed?
>
> WS-C3750E-48TD-E  (10 Gig Uplinks)
> WS-C3750G-48TS-E (4 x 1Gig Uplinks)
>
> The 'G' model is about $3k less than the 'E' model.

The first one is from the 3750-E series, the second one is 3750
"classic". Differences include different backplane capacities and
Stackwise differences (source version destination stripping). The 3750-E
Q&A has a paragraph describing the "notable" differences:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps7077/products_qanda_item0900aecd805bbea5.shtml#wp9000185
http://tinyurl.com/2sotu2

> I plan on using the switch as '48 port GigE routers'  assigning a /30
> to each GigE port on the switch with an uplink port going to my 'core'
> and talking OSPF with my 'border' routers (GSR8 & Juniper J6350).  My
> border speaks BGP with my peers and OSPF internally.  The 3750s will
> speak OSPF and have 1-2k routes installed from the local network (ISP/
> Datacenter)

Both versions can do this equally "well", considering they're not "real"
routers. As long as you just need basic layer 3 switching you're fine,
even though 48 routed interfaces means that you can't expect to use a
lot of TCAM-dependent features. The E-version is supposed to be able to
handle full wire rate forwarding, don't know if the "classic" version
also does this. But' you'll probably have core congestion before you
notice that. :-)

> My 'core' switches are Cisco 2960G, GigE switches, I don't need 10gig
> uplinks.

In that case you'd probably not be better off with the E-version. But
YMMV.

> Are there any other IP features/performance differences between the E
> & G ?

The have the same PowerPC405 processor. E-series has more RAM (256MB
versus 128MB) and a better forwarding rate.

The E-series is newer, bigger, better. ;-)

Regards,
Peter