[c-nsp] Top 10 Network Engineering Tools

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Mon Jan 28 15:45:35 EST 2008

On 1/28/08, Joseph Jackson <jjackson at aninetworks.com> wrote:

> Myself and a coworker are trying to get together a list of the top ten tools
> any network engineer shouldn't be without.  We're looking for vendor neutral
> tools.  So what do you all think are the most haves?

1. A laptop with a built-in serial port or a USB-Serial converter that
you know works (in fact, even if your laptop has a built-in serial
port it could be useful to have a USB-Serial converter handy in case
you need to connect to multiple devices at once).  Also need to make
sure that your terminal client works well and that you know how to
configure it to access all your serial ports.

2. Console cables for connecting to all of the various devices you are
in charge of.

3. Wireshark

4. SSH & telnet clients.

Jeff